Help for new Visitors and Internet Beginners
Tips for your first Steps on these Web Pages
- switch between English and German: by clicking with the left mouse button on the flag in the upper right corner from English to German and vice versa.
This allows visitors to choose the more suitable language for many of my web pages. However, my web presence is a hobby and I am not a pro translator, so bilingual content is not always possible but otherwise not necessary for the whole contents. If a website/report is only available in German or only in English, clicking on the flag will load the start page (homepage) in the selected language instead of a translation. This is then no error. Thanks for your understanding!
- Menu navigation: on a Mac or PC with a computer mouse, on a MacBook or Notebook with a touchpad, on devices with touchscreens by tapping the menu.
In my descriptions I ever write easily »mouse click« instead of mention all possibilities all the time. So please replace «mouse click» in your mind by «tapping» if necessary. By the way: a touchpad works just as well as a computer mouse (at least after a short period of getting used to it).
- clearly arranged: if the introductory text of a main page is not already directly linked to its submenus, «Read more:» is displayed at the bottom of the page above the clickable subpages. Otherwise simply click on the link next » in the bottom right-hand corner to turn to the next page.
- flip through pages: this website can be easily flipped through like a book from the start page aka «Home» to the last page by clicking on «prev» or «next».
And from the bottom of every page you reach the top with a click on ^. This line looks something like this: « prev ……………… ^top ……………… next »
- within the menu path forward/back/to the start page: above the page text, the current menu path is displayed (so now it shows: Help). Thanks to this «breadcrumb navigation», orientation is maintained even in nested submenus. When you are in the upper part of the page, you can click on the title «Tests & Tips» to immediately return to the homepage.
- Text highlighting: to avoid confusion, underlines are only used for hyperlinks (like here).
- identify unread pages: hyperlinks have blue font before first click. When the mouse is clicked, the font colour briefly turns red and then remains black.
- Link: Content here or on external website? Hyperlinks to other web addresses are marked with this icon at the right side of the web address.
This way, you know before you click on the hyperlink whether you will continue reading here with me or whether you would be directed to a third-party website.
- use these web pages on a Smartphone or Tablet-PC? Yes, with pleasure! This website offers responsive design, i.e. it adapts to any display size.
- read long texts more comfortably: use the read mode of your web browser. See below for details.
- Search function: click in the input field at the top right of the magnifying glass and then enter your search term. «Enter» key or on the Tablet PC «Next» «Search» or «Return» will start the search process (takes about one second). Attention: the search will only find results in the currently selected language!
- Table of contents: Complete overview of the menu structure, direct selection of each subpage possible. See top right next to the menu and printer icon.
Uniform Date Format
This website is made by a German Webmaster, therefore it has the German date format DD.MM.YYYY, which is also usual in Great Britain.
Adjust Font Size
By Keystroke Combination
Mac/PC/Notebook (replace [Ctrl] with [command] on the Mac):
[Ctrl] and [+] to enlarge,
[Ctrl] and [-] to reduce the size.
[Ctrl] and  resets to default.
As soon as a paper symbol or AA appears at the top left of the web address, clicking on this symbol allows you to use the reading mode and change the font size.
It works with all actual versions of Apple Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera and Microsoft Internet Explorer, maybe with other browsers, too.
Not only the font, but all other page elements will be scaled. So the entire layout will stay coherent.